Philip Shaw B.Sc.(Agr.) M.Sc
RR#2 Dresden Ontario NOP 1MO
Farmer, Agricultural Economist, Speaker, Writer
University of Guelph, 1989
Master of Science, Agricultural Economics and Business
Thesis in Marketing Research
University of Guelph, l981
Honours Bachelor of Science, Agricultural Economics and Rural Development
- 1981-Present: President: Philip Shaw Farms Inc. 865 acres of Corn, Soybeans, Sweet Corn and Wheat.
- 1987-1988: Author of Dimensions of Canadian Agriculture: Master of Science Thesis, A Psychographic Segmentation of the Canadian Farm Population The thrust behind my thesis was to divide farmers across Canada into their different “lifestyle” patterns. This was done using the marketing research technique called psychographics. The study was unique because it attempted to measure how farmers grouped by their similiar attitudes, interests and opinions looked at different agricultural policy.
Contributing Editor DTN
DTN/DTN AgDayta , Omaha Nebraska. Each week I write commentary for DTN AgDayta. DTN is a satellite information service, which reaches farmers and related businesses throughout North America. Each week, my column “Under the Agridome” is beamed into homes and businesses across Canada and the United States via the DTN Network. “Under the Agridome” is op-ed editorial dealing with agricultural and economic issues. “Under the Agridome” is also carried in “Today’s Farmer”. It is in its 25th year of publication.
1997-2009 Weekly Radio commentary on CFCO Radio in Chatham Ontario
Heritage Iron Magazine
Heritage Iron Magazine focuses on Farm Equipment From the 1960-1985 Era across the US and Canada I’m a regular contributor to this magazine having written articles on heritage combines, field sprayers and the John Deere 4020 tractor.
Country Guide Magazine
Contributing Editor for Country Guide Magazine. Article topics have included crop insurance, spraying technology, fertility management, machinery purchasing criteria, marketing options for cash crop producers, farmer bargaining strategies and herbicide strategies. In 2008 I started writing farm machinery reviews for the Machinery Guide section.
Market Trends: Each month I write and podcast the “Market Trends” commentary on the futures and cash corn markets for the Grain Farmers of Ontario.
Author of “At Issue”, a weekly on-line column devoted to Canada’s economic and political happenings.
Co-author of “East West”, a monthly on-line column co-authored with Dr. A.K Enamul Haque, Professor of Economics, East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
2011 “Market Volatility and our Changing Agriculture and Political Economy”, Association of Alberta Agriculture Fieldmen, Provincial Conference in Edmonton Alberta
2010 “Market Volatility and Our Changing Agriculture Price Environment”, Innovative Farmers Association of Ontario, Guelph Ontario
2008-2011 “Commodity Outlooks” at the Western Fair Farm Show, London Ontario
2009 January 15, Feature Lecturer, Linking Global Agricultural Markets, United International University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
2008 April Feature Speaker Northridge Tractor Appreciation Night: Chesley Ontario
2008 March Feature Speaker for Dupont at the Western Fair Farm Show, London Ontario
2007 Dec 6th Feature Speaker for “In Service Training” for the Association of Alberta Agriculture Fieldmen, Grande Prairie, Alberta
2007 Jan 3-4 Features Speaker presenting the 2007 “Commodity Outlook” at theSouthwest Agricultural Conference, Ridgetown Campus, University of Guelph
2006 April 5th, Co-chair of the Ottawa Solidarity Farm Rally in Ottawa Ontario. This farm rally took place on Parliament Hill on April 5th with upwards of 10,000 farmers from Canada taking part. I co-chaired the event acting emcee with my UPA counterpart from Quebec.
2006 (February) Guelph Farm Rally, Guelph Ontario: Feature Speaker
2006 (February) University of Windsor: “Terrorism, Politics and Poverty” Video Conference Lecture with Dr. A.K. Enamul Haque, Professor of Resource Economics, East West University, Dhaka Bangladesh. This lecture was presented in conjunction with Dr. Haque to Fourth Year Communcation Students at the University of Windsor.
2006 (January) Lambton Corn Producers Association: Feature Speaker
2005: Wallaceburg (Ont.) Farm Rally. Feature Speaker and MC of the Wallaceburg Farm Rally. Produced Wallaceburg Farm Rally DVD. Sales proceeds went to the local food bank.
2005: Dupont IMAX Appreciation Event at the Western Fair IMAX Theatre March 22, 23., March 29th at the Ontario Science Centre IMAX Theatre. I was the feature speaker at both events, speaking about commodity and currency markets.
- 1989: L’Union des Producteurs Agricoles, Montreal Quebec. “Psychographics in Quebec Agriculture” This presentation was done in English to a mostly unilingual French audience with simultaneous translation.
- 1989: Agriculture Canada. “Dimensions of Canadian Agriculture: Psychographic Segmentation of Canadian Farmers” This presentation was made to three different government ministries as well as representatives from the Deputy Prime Ministers’ Office. The focus of this presentation was the importance of psychographics in formulating future agricultural policy.
- 1989: Cormark Communications Ltd. London Ontario “Psychographics in Canadian Agriculture”. This presentation was made to marketing, communications and ad agency professionals regarding the use of psychographics in advertising.
- 1990: House of Commons Standing Committee on Agriculture. Ottawa. “Price Manipulation and the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) ” Expert Witness regarding price manipulations concerning market squeezes at the CBOT
- 1990: The Dunvegan Group Ltd., Calgary Alberta The Dunvegan Group is a growing full service marketing research consulting firm. I was hired to consult with regard to psychographic segmentation in the Western Canadian farm market.
- 1991: Farm Credit Corporation., Ottawa. This presentation was made to marketing and communications professionals as part of their “Business Development Days” regarding the use of psychographics in Canadian agriculture.
- 1991: Agriculture Canada: Farm Inputs, Terms and Conditions. I was hired as a consultant to work with a team of Quebec economists to document the terms and conditions of six farm inputs in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.
- 1989: Chairman: Ontario Federation of Agriculture Farm Finance Committee The chairman of the OFA Farm Finance Committee is one of the gatekeepers of farm finance and agricultural policy for the largest farm organization in the province.
CBC Television “The Journal”
In December of 1991 I appeared on a full segment of CBC’s “The Journal”. My role was to explain the economic impact of the recession on the local agricultural economy in Southwestern Ontario
- 1993, 2000, 2003, 2009 -Bangladesh Four trips to Bangladesh working with my research associate, Dr. A.K. Enamul Haque, United International University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.